Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Lunch, Nov. 2nd: Decepticons

So here we are, at the start of the journey to document the dining hall food. I've decided to use the food solely under the heat lamps (as the dining hall offers "stir fry" and a "sandwich bar"). So without further ado:

Decepticons:




Starting from the left and moving counter-clockwise we have:

Portebella Mushroom
As I have previously stated, I hate mushrooms. This was the only protein option under the heat lamps today, so on the plate it went. I "tried" it. That means I smelled it and nibbled a tiny corner. To people who like mushrooms, this wouldn't be that bad. It's masked mostly by spinach, squash, and what I presume is melted cheese (those white blobs). But to me it tasted of gross, which is what mushrooms always taste like to me. Bleck.

Blanched Broccoli with Red Peppers
When I first picked this up, I swore it was cauliflower. But the sign firmly proclaimed that it was blanched broccoli. I didn't even know one could blanche broccoli, but these days food can do anything. When I ate some guess what it tasted like? Nothing, with a vague aftertaste of broccoli - just to prove, you know, that it wasn't cauliflower after all. I did not eat the red peppers, as I don't like them and already had to make the concession to try the mushroom.

Smashed Turnips
I know what you're thinking - but that looks exactly like squash. You love squash, Augusta! I do. I love it indeed. However, these are smashed turnips. I am not a fan of the turnip. It's not that I hate them, but merely that every time I've tried them they've been mediocre at best. Smashed turnips, however, I can finally proclaim: Bleck. Perhaps it was all in preparation, for all I could taste was salt. And I like salty things; I often add salt to my soup because it's not salty enough. No joke. These however, were a salt lick posing as squash.

The Verdict:
 Today's lunch was bizarre, even by the normal standards of this dining hall. Everything hid as something it wasn't. I was half expecting the juice machine to turn into a Decepticon and have that horrid Shia LaBeouf come running through the doors. And then Optimus Prime would have come and beat some serious ass.

You know what, that would have been a much better lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment