Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Dinner, Nov. 3rd: Pepper Is King

Pepper is King



There seem to be disturbing themes running through the dining hall. Today was no different. Seasoning, specifically pepper, is the apparent blood supply of this food. Oh, goody. Counter-clockwise from the left we have:

African Pilaf: What exactly makes this pilaf "African" is uncertain, it looks and generally tastes like pilaf. I say generally, because the rice was crunchy. *sigh*

Brussels Sprouts: I have always hated this vegetable. To me, they taste of ashes. This batch was no exception, but this batch also tasted like ashes with pepper in them. Those black dots on the carrots are on the sprouts as well and they're straight up pepper.

Carrots: Carrots are my second favorite cooked vegetable (zucchini wins first place). So I will generally like them, unless they are seriously screwed. Raw carrots are not appealing to me, so when I bit into these to discover that they were A) Half Cooked B) Cold and C) Over peppered, I was rather sad. I ate them all, though, as I still gorram love carrots.

Beef: Today's label was straight forward: BEEF. And aside from the obvious over-use of pepper, it was tender and rather good. Then again, I did flip over a tremendous amount of meat atop it, so that I wouldn't have one dried out by the heat lamps.

Pasta and Pepper Saute: At least this one came right out and proclaimed the pepper-ness. The pasta was cooked well, and sat nicely in butter. However, all it tasted like was green peppers. And, as you can see in the photo above, there were other vegetable in this "pasta and pepper saute." Most importantly was my favorite vegetable, zucchini. It also tasted like green peppers.

The Verdict:
I like pepper, I really do. However, I don't like this EXTREME level of pepper. Nor do I like the vegetable pepper, but that's beside the point. The point is I went and got a salad after all of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment