Monday, November 8, 2010

Dinner, Nov. 7th: Not Quite

Not Quite
Just as a forewarning now. I do not always eat nor am I always able to document my meals at this dining hall. I have a part-time job, internship, and a full graduate course load.

I bring you now this delightful meal:

Steamed Peas and Carrots: I couldn't really be too disappointed with frozen veggies from a bag. They didn't taste bad. Thought it would have helped if they were cold.

Primavera Casserole: I believe the dining hall was going for something like this. However, what they got was that big ball of gloop pictured above. It consisted of red peppers, zucchini, summer squash, and some sort of cheese over macaroni. It was sad to look at, but at first it didn't taste all that bad. After I'd been chewing, though, it began to taste... off. It sort of reminded me of milk that had sat out too long. Or even mayonnaise (which I can't stand either). The vegetables weren't too bad in it, though they were still covered in that cheese.

Beef Burgundy: Or at least that's what the meal card at the dining hall said. But this looks nothing like the real Boeuf Bourguignon. And what's that in the sauce? Why it's my two least favorite vegetables: mushrooms and onions. I decided to steer clear of the vegetables entirely and just have at the beef. And boy was that a mistake. It tasted like mushrooms, onions, and cheep powdered gravy sauce. I couldn't even finish the bite.

Brown Rice: I followed my attempt at the Beef Burgundy with a mouthful of rice. It was crunchy. 

The Verdict:
Failure all around, but just barely. The dining hall really wanted to pull off something good, but instead gave this performance. Everything was just a little wrong -- well except for the beef burgundy, which was just wrong. If I was a middle school teacher, I would really have wanted to pass this struggling child so that they could go on to high school, but would know in my heart that they weren't ready for such a move. 

This meal could have been a failed coming of age movie in the inter-city.

No comments:

Post a Comment