Friday, November 12, 2010

Lunch, Nov. 11th: Veteran's Day

Veteran's Day



And this is the stuffed we served them?

There was a large crowd of middle-aged men in the dining hall yesterday. I felt bad that they served and we thanked them with the following food. Oh, and since it was a holiday we only had one morning meal: brunch. So we get a sample of breakfast and lunch under the hot lamps!

Mexican Rice: Like the previous "African Pilaf," I'm not exactly sure what makes this rice "Mexican." I can sure tell you one thing about it, though, it tasted like nothing. It was over cooked and mushy and tasted of nothing. It didn't even taste like rice. How can rice not taste like rice. But you, faithful readers, object: "What about all that color - isn't it spices?" To which I must only reply with a forlorn head-shake.

Corn with Peppers: Look the dual vegetable again... And it's still peppers. And guess what the corn tasted like. Peppery corn. Actually it was doubly peppery, as I could taste the peppers and then the black pepper that had been used in it's creation. Bleck.

Kielbasa:You know what. It was edible. It was moist and had good flavor. But that's kielbasa's default. But the dining hall didn't screw it up.

Scrambled Eggs: Aside from the fact that the heat lamps like to suck the moisture out of the eggs (and it's eggs from a carton and not real eggs), the scrambled eggs here are never bad. You just have to scoop from the bottom of the tray to get the ones not exposed. They're bland, but they're eggs. I ate them all.

Beef Taco: So, while the breakfast food were good and edible, this was not. The taco shells were stale and the meat just tasted wrong. Add to the equation that the meat was not drained so that when I lifted the taco all of the grease dripped down my hand and my arm, the meal became completely unappetizing. The meat tasted almost like they'd taken the hamburger patties and chopped them up and cooked it for taco meat. Ugh.

The Verdict:
I didn't want to eat this. So I didn't. I went to the waffle bar and made myself a mediocre waffle. And since it was a holiday, here's the picture.
The waffle maker likes to mangle the waffles; but at least it was tasty. Quite tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment